African Sweet Potato & Peanut Soup
Adapted from the Moosewood cookbook for West African Groundnut Stew. Wine or other fruit and vegetable juices (example, apricot or tomato) would also work as substitutes for the liquids. We have used Afrikoz Spices WEST blend in this dish.
Author: Afrikoz Spices
Recipe type: Lunch
- ½ tablespoon peanut oil
- ½ cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Afrikoz Spices WEST blend
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 eggplant, diced (optional)
- 1 x 400g can chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 150g apple juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ lemon juiced
- parsley chopped
- coriander chopped
- coconut shaved or dessicated (optional)
- Heat oil over medium high heat and add onions. Saute for a few minutes, until starting to show a little color.
- Add garlic and sauté a few more minutes.
- Stir in Afrikoz Spices WEST blend and stir.
- Add cabbage, sweet potato, eggplant (if using), broth, tomatoes, apple juice, and salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer, mostly covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check to see if sweet potatoes are tender, and turn off heat, stir in lemon juice to combine.
- Serve topped with coriander, parsley, and peanuts.
Adapted from Brooke the Cook's best of 2008 cookbook at http://www.food.com