Beef & Lentil Bobotie
Bobotie is a delicious slow cooked spicy casserole. Serve it with yellow rice or mashed potato and sambals. For this recipe we have used Afrikoz Spices SOUTH blend.
Author: Afrikoz Spices
Recipe type: Dinner
- 30 ml Oil
- 500 g Beef Mince
- 2 Onions chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp Chutney or fruity conserve
- 45 ml Tomato Sauce
- 400 g tin Lentils drained and rinsed
- 125 ml Beef Stock
- 1 tbsp Afrikoz Spices SOUTH blend
- 125 ml Raisins or Sultanas
- 4 Slices Bread, crust removed and broken into small pieces
- 250 ml Milk or Buttermilk
- Salt & pepper
- 2 Eggs
- 6 Bay Leaves
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Fry the mince a little at a time over high heat until it changes colour, breaking it up so that it becomes crumbly. Remove from pan.
- Sauté onion and garlic until soft and return the meat to the pan.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to casserole dish.
- Coat the bread in a few tablespoons of buttermilk stir into the meat.
- Mix the remaining milk and eggs together, season to taste.
- Pour over the meat and arrange the bay leaves on top.
- Bake at 190°C for 30-40 minutes, until topping is set.
- Serve with yellow or basmati rice and sambals.
- TIP: To make your Bobotie a bit more special, sprinkle with flaked almonds before baking.