Curried Pumpkin Soup With Bacon
This delicious soup will warm you up on a cold winter's night. The aroma of the curry cooking will tempt you and you'll get a nice after glow of flavour and heat afterwards. For a vegetarian version, hold the bacon.
Author: Eva Browne-Paterson
Cuisine: Cape Malay Curry
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
- ¼ pumpkin peeled & roughly diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 red onion peeled & sliced
- 300g bacon rashers roughly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp chicken stock powder
- ½ tbsp Afrikoz Spices SOUTH blend
- ½ tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Sour cream
- Cook the pumpkin in a pot of boiling water until tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- When cooked, drain the pumpkin reserving the hot liquid.
- Mash the pumpkin roughly in the pot.
- Add the chicken stock powder to the reserved liquid & stir.
- Add the butter to a hot fry pan and throw in the onions & garlic. (You can do this towards the end of the pumpkin cooking time).
- Toss for a few minutes then add the bacon & Afrikoz Spices SOUTH blend.
- Toss until caramelised & cooked through. (If it doesn't have a yellow look about it, feel free to 'sprinkle' a little more Afrikoz Spices SOUTH blend on. But don't go overboard unless you want a fiery hot soup!)
- Add to the pot of pumpkin & stir.
- Taste & grind salt & pepper into the soup to your liking.
- Add enough chicken stock liquid to the pot to be able to get a medium consistency.
- Using a hand stick blender, whizz the soup mixture until it's fairly smooth. (I like it to have a bit of texture, so I don't make it reaaalllly smooth.)
- Add the chopped rosemary to the soup.
- Keep adding more chicken stock & stir until you get the desired consistency that you like.
- Once it's hot, remove from the heat & serve in bowls.
- Top with a generous dollop of sour cream & garnish with a rosemary sprig.
- Serve with a toasted roll slathered in butter!
My husband kept saying "Yum" after every other mouthful, so that's always a good recommendation! 😉 This recipe made enough for 2 people with 1 bowl left over for lunch the next day.