Spicy Pea & Ham Soup
This hearty soup is a complete warm-you-up meal that everyone will love! Enhanced by the delicious flavours of Afrikoz Spices EAST blend, you'll be smacking your lips for some time afterwards.
Author: Eva Browne-Paterson
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
- 250g green split peas soaked (yellow are good too)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large carrot thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp Afrikoz Spices EAST blend (depending on your preferred heat level)
- 2 ham hocks (sliced if possible or left whole)
- 6 cups hot chicken or beef stock
- ½ cup cream
- Coriander to garnish
- Heat butter in a large pot and add vegetables and Afrikoz Spices EAST blend. Stir until onions are opaque.
- Add ham hocks and stir.
- Cover with stock.
- Add split peas, stir and bring to the boil.
- Put lid on and simmer for 1.5 hours stirring occasionally.
- Remove skin from hocks and throw away.
- Break up the ham into smaller pieces and remove ham hock bone if whole. (Set the bone aside for the person that likes to chew ham bones!)
- If sliced ham hocks were used, some ham will fall off the bone anyway... it's all good.
- Add cream and stir.
- Serve in bowls with torn coriander on top.
On the morning of the day you're having this soup, pour split peas into a large bowl and cover with cold water. Add enough water so there's about a finger height above the peas. Cover with cling wrap and allow to soak for around 6 hours (or overnight if you prefer). Drain.